Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pack it up, Pack it in...

So, now that I'm back from LA and Danielle's travel themed shower is over, I can share the pics of the cake I did for it! :) Genesis (shocker) organized this awesome shower (that I, sadly, had to miss) and she asked me to make the cake. Everything she did was so well thought-out and adorable, I had to make sure the cake reflected all of her amazing ideas. Just an additional note: this theme isn't so random. Danielle's husband is in the Army and they get to travel a bunch of really awesome places. Three of the places Gen focused on were Savannah, Hawaii and Kentucky. Here we go...

Supplies:

  • 2 cake mixes
  • Buttercream Icing
  • Eggs
  • Vegetable Oil
  • Chocolate Fondant
  • Small packet of white fondant
  • Plastic Rolling Pin
  • Cornstarch
  • Edible Food Markers (get the Americolor ones...they really work!)
  • Luster Dust (in Bronze and Yellow)
  • Vanilla Extract (everyone suggests clear extract or vodka but all I had was the regular brown stuff, so that's what I used)
  • A Pizza Cutter
  • Lots of Paper Towels
So I did this on an overnight adventure to the Nanner land...It was the perfect time for this project. They were asleep and I had a great surface to work with!

I started by making two 9x13 cakes and letting them cool completely! If you don't you'll end up with this: 

instead of this:

After you get it cooled and all, cut it to the desired shape. Basically, I chopped off the parts that were too wonky. Yes. Wonky. Then I covered the two with buttercream and smacked them together. (Ok...so I actually smacked them together then I covered them with buttercream, but it sounds better the other way)

Roll out the fondant! Cover your cake with this delicious treat and SMOOTH it out!

Next I took the white fondant and mixed it in with the brown to make the lighter colored straps. I also think I put some bronze luster dust in there too...attach the straps to the cake by lightly wetting the back area of the strap and placing it on the cake. Also made the edging accents this way. But put them on first obviously!


Next I made the buckles. Just white fondant formed and painted with a mixture of yellow luster dust and Vanilla extract. Paint it straight on. Also used this to create the buckle holes.

Here I had some fun. I cut out a bunch of different shapes and used the edible markers to make bumper stickers designed for their specific interests. First there was the "Aloha" sticker for their time spent in Hawaii. Then there were the "SAV" and "AASU" stickers for Dani's time in Savannah. There was also the "Getting Lucky in Kentucky" sticker. That's where they're going next! I also threw in the "I love my soldier" sticker since she actually has that one on her car and the "Army Wife" sticker because that's what Dani is! Last but not least, we've got the Georgia "G" sticker to reflect all of our years spent at the wonderful University of Georgia! :) 








No comments:

Post a Comment