Wednesday, June 15, 2011

So, as I've been spending quite some time outside with the nanners this summer, I've taken a good hard look at my midsection. We are not pleased. (yes, I'm invoking the royal "we" here...I like to pretend I'm a princess sometimes...get over it.)

It's not that I'm big or even that out of shape, but compared to where I used to be when I was dancing and singing and running around like a mad woman in high school, there is something to be desired. Don't worry, this is not going to be a "Debbie Downer," self-loathing post. Quite the opposite, really.

Seeing so much of my stomach, which has been in hibernation until recently, has made me realize that if I just pay a little attention to what I eat and actually make an attempt to work out every so often, I will be a happier, healthier me.

I've already done a bit of research on exercise that can reduce stress and help me tone up and I've decided to start doing pilates a couple of times a week. That started last night with my friend, Casey and a trip to Target. I honestly felt sore this morning (sad, right?) and it made me feel like keeping up the trend of healthy living.

So I opted for yogurt instead of cupcakes this afternoon and I felt inspired to cook for Evan and myself tonight. Unfortunately, all I had in my freezer were toaster struedels, pizzas and vodka. Not really much you can do with that (although the vodka might replace my glass of wine tonight...what's up Ketel One? It's stress-reduction in a bottle).

Evan saved the day, though. He dashed off to the grocery after work and before tonight's summer storm settled in. When he got back, I started cooking. Here's tonight's somewhat healthy summer meal:

Caprese Chicken and Couscous

Doesn't it look yummy?! :) I love all of these ingredients and I feel like it's pretty healthy.

Ingredients:

  • Chicken Tenderloins (Evan opted for the free-range, organic ones. Do we get double healthy points for that?)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (we got ours in Napa at Lava Vines Vineyard. It is the best stuff ever. Honestly. It's to die for! www.lavavine.com check it out!) 
  • Minced Garlic or whole cloves minced
  • Kosher Sea Salt
  • Pepper
  • Italian Seasoning
  • Fresh Basil
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Couscous (I recommend Near East's Garlic and Olive Oil variety--it's done in 5 minutes!)
Start off by lightly coating the pan in olive oil. Add garlic and basil and sauté. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar. Warm for a few minutes.

Salt and pepper chicken before adding into vinegar mixture. Cook over medium heat, flipping a couple of times to make sure it's cooking evenly.

While the chicken is cooking, get started on the couscous. Just follow the directions on the box. If you can't make this stuff...go with the pizza and vodka in the freezer. 

After the couscous has started, halve the cherry tomatoes and throw them in the mix. Stir and flip and add seasoning if you feel it needs a little something extra. 

Add a few pearls of cheese while the pan is still hot. 

When it's all cooked and yummy looking, fluff the couscous and serve it all up. Add a few more pearls of cheese and sprinkle with balsamic vinegar. 

Enjoy! :) I know we did! 

And for dessert? Yeah, I fell for the yoplait commercials and am trying the "dessert" flavors of their light yogurt. Jury's still out on these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment