Monday, February 7, 2011

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?

Ok, last cake pop/ball post for a while, I promise. But how could I resist making these for the awesome superbowl party hosted by my dear friends, Ben and Phyllis?! Y'all should definitely try to make these yummy Oreo truffle footballs! SO delicious! so cute!
Bakerella inspired me once again!
Visit Bakerella.com
Now, I have to admit that it took me quite a while to get the dipping process down with these little guys. But other than that, they were so fun!

The main ingredients!
How can you go wrong with Oreos
and cream cheese?!
 So, let's talk ingredients:

  • Oreo Cookies (don't get double stuft ones though)
  • Cream Cheese 8oz
  • Chocolate candy coating
  • White Icing (we'll talk about this later)
Bakerella said for us to crush up the oreos, filling and all, and put them in a big bowl with the softened cream cheese. She suggested using a food processor. I don't have one of those, but the boyfriend had a magic bullet. man this thing is awesome! Anyway, I crushed up the oreos, filling and all and did what Bakerella said. It was already delicious!
Cream Cheese and Oreo crumbles all mixed up
Then I molded them into balls and stuck them in the freezer. Unfortunately, I left them in there too long and they were kinda frozen.

Time to shape them! I struggled with this one because I am a bit of a perfectionist and it was much more difficult than I had anticipated. Overall, I think they turned out ok, though! 

Pre-coated footballs! 


Melting the candy coating was pretty easy, but figuring out how to properly dip them was not. I tried just holding them by the points but that ended disasterously for me, the footballs and my poor boyfriend. Sorry for yelling. And for being a bitch. Oops. 

Eventually, I figured out that using a fork was the best solution because it allowed the excess to drip off quite nicely. I only discovered this about halfway through the lot of them and ergo, only half of them were up to my standards. But oh well...can't be perfect all the time. I guess. 

This is what they looked like after
all the dipping. :) 

Now we come to the part that made me so freaking mad that I cannot even explain! Apparently I used the wrong kind of icing because these little stupid lines did not stay on very well and they were a big old pain to put on there in the first place. Anyway, I don't know what kind of icing I need to use but I'm assuming it's going to be royal icing or something like that that is a little more liquid and would dry a little harder. I drew my crappy lines on my footballs, cursed a little, and hurried on my way to my good friends' house where these were a pretty big hit, I believe! 
The picture didn't really reflect how cute they were, but
they weren't perfect either. What mattered was what was
on the inside though. And that was delicious!


On an additional note, Evan debuted his new beer yesterday! He brewed a batch (or whatever you call it) for my friend, Ben, a few weeks ago. The boys both showed excellent patience and waited until Superbowl Sunday to try it for the first time! It, too, was a big hit! It was great! I think he said it was a Belgian Whit, but I'm not really sure. I know it had corriander, orange peels and half barley and half wheat. Now, don't ask me what any of that means, but I know I liked the way it tasted! And I'm fairly sure that Evan and Ben both really enjoyed the beer. And the Crown Royal. And the Captain Morgan. And the Jaager...and maybe the Tylenol this morning? :) Haha...

Happy Superbowl Sunday (and Hangover Monday for some of you!) 





3 comments: