Sunday, February 6, 2011

How you like them apples?

Ah, cake pops. My new obsession. Not going to go into a whole lot of detail since I've already given a good run-down of how to make these.
"I take em to my teacher, Shew?"
(my name changes between Shew,
MaShewwy, ShaSho or Shewwy.
Pretty cute, in my opinion!)

Nanner mom and dad have to go to nanner baby's preschool open house and all the parents have been asked to bring a few tasty treats. Ever the non-conformists, we all came to the conclusion that cake pops would be the perfect antidote to the typical bake sale goodies. Our next dilemma? Figuring out what shape to make them in. Nanner boy (10 years old but with the soul of a 30 year old and Julia Childs' cooking skills. Love this kid) and I flipped through the awesome book (visit Bakerella.com and get inspired) and discussed the pros and cons of each one. I thought the puppies would be good. Nanner mom wanted something to do with the school. After a good 30 minute ride home from school, we finally decided on the apples. An apple for the teacher I suppose.

All in all, it was pretty fun. We went with funfetti cake and vanilla frosting. Again, I made them too big, but they worked. We also used red candy coating and stuck 1/3 of a pretzel stick into the top. After they dried a bit, I used a toothpick dipped in the candy coating to attach these absolutely adorable sprinkles that look like eyeballs. So cute! Then I used my egg yolk edible paint to make eyelashes and smiles. They ended up super cute if I do say so myself.

Pre-smiles. Kinda creepy.
Nanner baby said, "MaShewwy...dey're wooking at me wif
deir eyes." translations: "Ma Shelly...they're looking at me
with their eyes." 
Smiley Apples on a stick.
These aren't good for you though.

"I can have one now, ShaSho? Fanks"

They were a hit with the Nanners. Let's hope they're the hit of the open house. Is it sad that I like to out-do people I've never even met? Whatever. Everyone gets competetive sometimes. My competitiveness tastes good though! haha!



No comments:

Post a Comment